Old 05-08-2010, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dream2bClean
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

Thumbs down NA 1 meeting back in YEARS VERY Dissapointment This Evening

I went to my first NA meeting in about 6 years today. It was held at an olf firehouse basement my old home group and the meeting I used to adore. Not one person was still there from back in the day. I announced my name and that I was a newcomer (6 years out of the rooms) and my name. It was a younger guys (most of the atnedees were younger...maybe a dozen adults (over 20 somethings) it was a guys 3 year anniv which I respect VERY much but the entire meeting was about him.
Therewe only about 12 girls (out of about 50 people) and I would say maybe 3 were like me in their 30's or above all were def. younger 20 somethings.
It was very discouraging when at the end I stood there with an open small notebook for names and phone numbers which I desperately need and only 1 girl (after I accepted a white keychain even) introduced herself, did not give me her #, I used the rest room and every other girl had left.
No introductions, no names, no #'s I left with nothing but a keychain and a few welcomes from the older gentleman, but of course didnt get their phone #'s as the rules go.
I know it takes time to find the right group and am not going to get upset b.c that used to be my favorite group and my first back in a very long time for drug problems I never had (MUCH WORSE NOW IV USE) than I ever did befroe even though I do understand it doesnt matter what you use to have the same addictions but I really needed a couple #'s and it want easy and I am sure is not for anyone to go back to their first meeting.
I will go back, maybe not to that meeting, i am going to church, and taking ym daughter with a friends mother tomorrow morning (which I also havent done it YEARS AND YEARS) looking for sme support or just a good word there to help me quit drugs and alcohol.
I have a meeting I will go to on Mon night literally right up the street from my home at a church that when I used to go had a lot of older woman who had bee with the program a long time when I used to go so hopefully if they arent there at least some adult woman will be there.
I am hoping it was just Sat night and I didnt look to great b/c I went last min and just threw on some clothes lying around and all these girls - the one that inrroduced herself to me looked like young 20 something supermodels and like I said not 1 even welcomed me. What happened there, isnt the newcomer still the most important person in the meeting or has NA reall become completely materialistic and clicquie like HS?
I really hope thats not the case with the meeting Monday. Maybe I have to go to the meetings with the other desperates at the local mental (sorry I know thats not the right word) detox type hospitals near me that have meetings, or maybe although NA was my preference when I went to both AA and NA and drugs are certainly my main problem, but maybe AA will be better for me. Any thoughts? Is this just my area, or did I jsut go to the wrong meeting on an offnight for me?
I understand a 3 year anniversay but should the ENTIRE meeting be dedicated to them and onkly about 4 other epople spoke for about 1 minute tops about their burning desires and some people there were also reaching out for help BAD and no one approached them after the meeting and they were make so I didnt either.
I am at a loss with this...PLEASE HELP! <3 Dreams