Old 05-01-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ItsmeAlice

When I had moments like this where something my XABF was doing that put me in a spin the wise folks here encouraged me to read up on detachment. It's detachment that keeps you from responding emotionally when an addict screws up their life, which let's face it, is a daily thing.

Try thinking of it this way....He probably considered going to that first day on the job and then started wondering how he could get out of it. At least that's what my X seemed to think because in reality having to work and be responsible only cut into his addicted lifestyle. IME, the addict starts thinking about who to lean on, who to push, or how to borrow, beg, or steal their way into having their lifestyle supported so they don't have to do the whole job thing at all.

What would possess your XABF to call with such flattery for you and self loathing for himself? Does it matter? It's all manipulation and self seeking bulls**t. It's an agenda. If he really wanted to go to that job, he would have gone.

While we all wish addicts would just apply the same energy and furvor that they do to pursue their addiction on getting and holding down a responsible job and life, it's not going to happen until they hit bottom. Stop standing in his way and cushioning his fall. Change your number. Notify the court. Get back to that nap already because I doubt you're magically feeling less tired.

You can do this! You deserve this!

Alice