Old 04-26-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
evmdimples

Originally Posted by Alizerin View Post
Synopsis:

Melodie explains here that she "unabashedly loves twelve step programs". Alcoholics Anonymous, Alanon, Alateen, Alatots (never heard of that one! Yes, for tots) etc... The programs help people to live contented lives. The steps are a way of life. The steps for codependents follow the Alanon program. They are as follows:
Like Beattie, I love the 12-steps, it is a way of life for me. I consider myself leading a "12-step lifestyle." My recovery work is with CoDA (Codependents Anonymous). The CoDA first step is as follows:

"We admitted that we were powerless over others--that our lives had become unmanageable."

The rest of the steps are identical to the original 12-steps of AA.
Here's the official link to CoDA for those who are interested:
Welcome: CoDA Home Page

I watched the movie but since alcohol(ism) has not been part of my experience, I had a hard time relating to what was shown. And probably why I have a hard time relating to others when I attend Al-Anon meetings (due to no CoDA meetings nearby.)

I agree, this is a spiritual program. Not a religious one. I'm not and never have been religious. But I have always been a spiritual person. And my spirituality has grown tremendously since I started my 12-step journey. Curiously, it was through 12-steps that I actually figured out I was agnostic. And they work just fine for me!

Ali, you did a great job with this chapter!

I was getting worried that the birds might show up!