Thread: Losing friends
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
HumbleBee

Hello Avenell,

I was nodding my head while reading your first post. I know what you mean - my friends weren't jerks for acting non-supportive when I stopped drinking; they were just afraid of any change in me - most people fear change. There's also alot of misconceptions attached to people who don't drink, unfortunately (boring, holier than thou, etc.). They didn't want to think of me becoming this way.

They also feared that they might have to take a look at themselves.

You are *so* right about the puking, bruises and waking up with half your purse missing. I wouldn't wish that on anyone and never want to go back there.

I did AA in early sobriety - it was really wonderful for the f2f connection with people who understood where I was at. I found people to be particularly sensitive to newcomers and go out of their way to make you comfortable. It's wise to listen more than talk and it's perfectly ok to say you're just there to listen, imo - until you're comfortable.

I attribute my recovery to my counselor, however. He was professionally trained and in recovery himself for many years. Saw him one night per week for the first year. A life changing and life saving experience.

Glad you're here with us. Keep posting and sharing. You're in good company.