Thread: Losing friends
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Toronto68

Ave, "God" in AA isn't necessarily the god in scriptures, it is something "bigger than you" that you reckon with and would be able to conceive of as an outside force that is there for you. Some people replace the God word with Nature or the Universe. Take a peek at the Secular sections here, there are people who do not believe in God who use AA.

Except for some rare exceptions I have heard of, most people say they were happy with their first experience at an AA meeting, because the people make them feel welcome and understood and not judged. I have heard that you don't even have to do the 12 Steps, you can just go to meetings. there are PLENTY of people here who know more on that.

Some people only use this site as a way to work on their sobriety. Others use a combo of things.

You can always try to help your friend out (the one I was blasting) down the road, but I think it is important to put yourself up there as an important person in your mind -that is, be your own best friend and congratulate yourself on what you can do; and be honest with yourself when you are scared or feel negative. People here will be supportive of you.