View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 04:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
zbear23

The ONLY requirement to be a member of AA is the DESIRE TO STOP DRINKING. I am not required to do anything or say anything. There are no dues or fees. The thing that helped me the most was simply attending meetings and listening to others....and realizing that although our specific experiences might be different, I could identify with all the fears and feelings, the misery and pain, that others experienced. I was, after all, not unique, and no longer alone. I was among those who understood me because they'd BEEN me....and had found a solution they were happy to share.

Right now, I'm on the road on my way back to Boston from Florida. One of the things I love to do is google an AA meeting directory for wherever I'm staying over that night, and attend a meeting I've never been to before. I love going to meet others like me, sharing our common bonds and support. One of our traditions in AA states that we are a fellowship which puts principles before personalities. I've never felt anything except welcome at an AA meeting. That means love and tolerance, among other things.

I even went to one in Paris once, that was entirely in French (which I barely spoke)....and STILL felt totally comfortable. It's like having family all over the world.

blessings
zenbear