View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
KeepPedaling

Originally Posted by Bucyn View Post
So you were an alcoholic for 8 years? 8 years of lies, broken promises, insults, self pity, blame, selfishness, betrayal. Day after day. 2,920 days.

She is entitled to 8 years of mistrust, wariness, resentment, and anger. She's ENTITLED to 8 years of working through her anger and disappointment with you. You owe it to her.

She tolerated your god awful behavior for 8 years, why wouldn't you tolerate her sulking for 8? Well, she lived with worse for 8 years. As bad as you think her behavior is now, yours was worse.

She stuck by you. Why can't you do it for her? Because it affects the quality of your life, because it's a drag to live with? It's okay to trash her life, but it's not ok for her to trash yours?
So true. But I can't help but think, "Dang, she should have just walked away. It's so not worth it."

I for one, am so so glad that I walked away. I can't help but feel like 90% of sober alcoholics remain the selfish whiney self-absorbed babies that they were when they were drinking. It's not like people ever get thanked or appreciated for sticking around and suffering the alcoholics. More importantly, save the precious few couples, it's not like they ever achieve even the most tattered, fragile bond of true intimacy. They get the exact opposite.