View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
yeahgr8

Originally Posted by box3 View Post
Me too, Acorn.

SMART recovery is more my style as I like the cognitive behavioural approach, but there are few resources for this in my area. I have put a list together of the AA meetings that are easy to get to -- I'm just working up the courage to go.

You're not alone in feeling the fear.
I go to AA and have a sesssion a week with a CBT counselor so im kind of a smart aa guy;-)

Seriously though i was scared of my first meeting too but they are just people and are all there for the same problem and it is alcoholic anonymous and they do treat that seriously so even if you do know anyone which IMO is quite unlikely then no worries.

I'm from the UK too, will be back next month for a bit...looking forward to going to some meeting...have been abroad a while now...will slot straight back in...wander in and an alriiiite maaaate and we are away hehe

Will be good to sit with a bunch of drunks in the UK without being asked me what the **** am i looking at...or being accused of being a southern shandy drinking *******...although the latter may still be appropriate depending on the location of the meetings;-)

Go though it got me sober and gave me a freedom from alcohol i didn't think possible:-)