View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SomeoneSomwhere

Hey you should go! Seriously!

I went to my first one last night. I still don't think I'm an alcoholic but I went because I know have some sort of problem.

I sat in the parking lot for 45 minutes before I went in. I was only there for 15 minutes but everyone was REALLY welcoming. Seriously. I mean at some point they all had the same issue as you or are still struggling with it every day...so there is no judgment. Seriously. I was really afraid but people were extremely nice and supportive.

Hearing other peoples stories and talking to people who understood was very helpful. I haven't stopped drinking but going to meetings is the first step in wanting to. I really really think you should go. I don't think you'll regret it. Like I said it was REALLY scary but people were SO nice. I was surprised honestly.

I live in the inner city, I went to a meeting in a suburb near where I live. In my city its easy to get to the burbs by the train so it wasn't an issue for me. Maybe you can go to one where you would not have the chance of knowing someone. But even if you did, that person would be there for the same reason as you so nether of you would have a reason to feel embarrassed but I tottally get why you would because I feel the same way.