Thread: Class of 2008
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Ananda

From the begining hide and seek??

Well..

I am an alchoholic and drug addict. In 1977 my addiction to crystal meth (snorting) was at it's peak. I drank alot definately was alchoholic as well, but meth was my drug of choice and dropping acid was a weekly event...pot, opium, hash, etc. were daily events.

I had a major breakdown...I lived at home for a while, saw a psyc and they sorta half ass put me together...at least i didn't stutter any more....and i wasn't so parinoid i couldn't do anything but sit in a corner terrified.

of course alchohol and drugs came back into my life slowly but surely within a year of this event....speed was never at the level it was prior...and alchohol became the biggest problem. I had a child at 19 and was married for a year after i got pregnant.

In 1985 i had broken up with a man i thought was my love and had become a daily drinker for 9 mos...and speed was becoming a regular....Work sent me home one day and through what i can only descirbe as a miraculous set of events that have shaped my ideas about recovery, I ended up in an AA meeting that night.

I started to put the rest of my story in here, but it is way way too long so: here is the short version.

Got 2.5 years sober with an HP. Didn't deal with some underliying issues. Drank.

Slip slided away...serial slipper i call it...for a number of years. Got sober in my 30s for 7 years..stopped attending AA after the 2nd year and used my buddhism to stay on track.

After 7 years sober and quite happy I casually picked up a drink and within a month was drinking a bottle or more a day, drinking before work, at lunch, all night...

After 7 years of drinking, or was it 8???....I finally got sober again (had been trying to for a good 4 years of the 7 i drank..maybe more)...

That was July of 2007. Found SR shortly thereafter.

So that was when i got almost 2 years sober here at SR. Shortly after July 4th, 2009 I relapsed. I spent the next 6 mos unable to stay sober. I went to rehab 3 times, quit my job, lived with my mom for a month, just couldn't get it.

SR rooted for me to get sober through this period. It was amazing...but i just couldn't get it...but none of you gave up

Then just before this past Christmas I met a man here at SR that was to become my sponsor. He talked with me for about 2 weeks before I finally got sober on December 31st, 2009.

So after 25 years in and out of AA (mostly in) and 2 years on SR....my life finally did a 180....

Today my life has more joy and beauty in it and i am able to see it, then ever! I understand the precious gift I have been given in sobriety, but i also understand that unless my personal growth with my HP continues....I will drink again...thats just the way it is for me.

Ok..thats the short version ...who's next!