Old 04-12-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Horselover

I'm late on the welcoming wagon for you MaryRita, but welcome any ways. I read your story and please do NOT feel anything else but a person that happens to be an alcoholic and cannot drink alcohol. I am a mother too and my husband did the mothering to our now 7 year old son for years. I functioned just fine during the day, but once he came home I handed all responsibility over to him.

I am 43 years old (soon to be 44) and by the Grace of God my husband has stuck with me and I am finally sober and able to mother our son. I tell you I am trying to make up for lost time. I volunteer all the time now at his school and I try to do what I can to stay busy and become a better sober parent. If I concentrate too much on the past I know I am trouble because I start feeling sorry for me, for my family and ouch!

My only advice to you is to "try" to stay in the day and KNOW with your heart and soul that you can change. Do whatever it takes to stay sober. If SR works great. If you need some one on one encouragement then go to AA and do the steps. Do anything but drink.

I drank for 20 some years and was sober for my pregnancy, but that was about it. If this Mom can become sober then anyone can. I promise you that.

Welcome again!!