View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 04:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
coffeedrinker

Oh, CB, I do feel your fear coming right off the screen.

Everyone's "bottom" is at a different level, not always in the "rocks", or on skid row, as that writer would have us think that's what we're talking about.

I believe in the "bottom" concept because of my years of experience dealing with, and seeing, addicts recovering. But I believe that it's an emotional bottoming out. The pain that their using has caused is just too great to continue to bear, and sometimes, yes, it is about being homeless and hungry, and all kinds of situations that cause despair.

But I didn't post to argue about that.

My take on the HEAVILY-laden plate of food you prepared is slightly different.

(BTW, it all sounded super wonderful)

I LOVE to serve people. I try and touch people - strangers, co-workers, friends - every single day. It just makes me feel good, and honestly, I feel that the way I interact with others is part of my purpose here on earth. (Not to say I think I'm magic or anything, I just have a kind and loving spirit and I show it to people)

Sometimes, for instance when I planned and executed a dinner for 90 people recently, and it went off without a hitch, or just showing up in someone's hospital room for a visit, I get thanked (or applauded in the case of that dinner). It feels good to be appreciated!

I think there is a fine line between simply serving others, doing good in your little corner of the world, and getting our good feelings from accolades, or other people's compliments.

So, what I'm seeing is the possibility that you put yourself in a position to arrive at the doorstep of these needy people, plus whatever staff is in place, like Santa Claus. Wow, what a terrific, giant bunch of really great food! Who would not get excited about that?

I think there might be an enabling element here, but I guess I don't see it so much as that.

And I am so glad your daughter is in the hands of people who can help to keep her safe. Meth is a hard, hard one to kick, and the effects are crazy ugly. I will say a prayer for her. And for you, Mom. Hope you keep coming here.