Old 04-07-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
coffeedrinker

when we confuse setting a boundary with cause and effect/punishment and consequences, we have gone off the path of what the boundary is supposed to work like. i know many have said this in this thread, but for me i had to hear it a lot before it started to make sense to me.

i too agree that it is better to simply state what that boundary is.

iwant, instead of just acting like the bathtub got full and you have to hang up, i would suggest having your "gotta go" statement handy. every time he calls and he is drunk, abusive or nasty, use that statement and leave the conversation.

ex: "i feel you are disrespecting me in this conversation. i gotta hang up." click.
"it sounds as though you have been drinking. gotta go" click.
"i only wish to engage with you when you are sober. i need to hang up." click

i suspect the behavior that you don't wanna be around will eventually stop. it might escalate first, though, as he tries to control you! i also think you can't play it one way one day, and then get weak (relapse) on another. you need to be consistent.

can you say why you are hanging in there with him if he is still drinking despite your desire for him to not be? what is the relationship payoff for you? is it the good times, and how frequent are they?