Thread: dont get it
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by mburnsc View Post
My only conclusion is that I havn't found a sponsor yet and started the steps. But still, there are a lot of other people like that at the meetings and on here as well. Somehow they are so positive and happy with just being of drugs/drinking?
Yes, there are a lot of people in AA who give up drinking and feel better and for someone new coming into the fellowship it can be difficult to see who are those happy with just giving up drinking and who are those who have had a spiritual awakening by working the 12 Steps.

I will stress what Keith says - he said it was critical and it is. I didn't have a drinking problem (which got better when I stopped), I had a drinking solution. When I took away the drink (my solution), my life got worse.

I am a real alcoholic who cannot make myself feel better by changing my lifestyle, thinking positive thoughts, and knowledge that I am an alcoholic.

Fortunately, there is a book written for people just like me and in it contains a simple program of recovery to find a happy, joyous and free life...... without alcohol. The book is called Alcoholics Anonymous.

A suggestion for you - why not try sharing in meetings how bad your life has got now that you have given up drinking.

I know that if I heard someone share that in the meeting, I would talk to them after the meeting and tell how I used to be just like that and how my life is now that I am working the 12 step program.

You may just find that potential sponsors approach you, people who know exactly what it is like to be a alcoholic like you and can only recover with a spiritual solution. Reach out for help - they are in the rooms.
Take care.