View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 03:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mintygreen

Question It happened again...

Morning Everyone,

I really didn't imagine that a lovely night out at a friend's birthday party would finish with me posting on this site. Please bear with me as this might be a long post.

I have a lovely, kind, emotionally intelligent and considerate partner of 5 years. We're both drinkers and only rarely have I considered this to be a problem. We don't share the same house and are together about 30% of the time. Apart from the occasional glass of wine, I rarely drink when I'm home alone, although I know that he does most days -maybe a beer or a couple of glasses of wine. However, when we're together we've had a habit of drinking most evenings, not to excess but certainly a glass or two of wine most evenings.

The problem is the kind of situation that happened last night: We went to a lovely party and caught up with many friends I hadn't seen for a while. Everyone was drinking or smoking weed, great music, lovely happy atmosphere. I was certainly drunk, but not out of control in anyway and as always know exactly when I've had enough and tend to start drinking water. D. my partner, doesn't know when to stop and once again (this has happened several times at these sorts of occasions) got absolutely, embarrassingly wasted. He was the only person there in that kind of state - you know, slurring, falling around, talking gibberish etc. I end up having to be the responsible person that makes sure we get home safely etc. I really don't like who he becomes at all.

How do I handle this? Do I get heavy or supportive? Do I have to quit drinking too in order not to enable his drinking?

I don't understand how someone can be physically unable to stop drinking even when they're in such a terrible state. Is he alcohol dependent? Am I?

I just don't know where to start and this looked like a safe and friendly place to unload.

He's just got up - gotta go...

Thanks