Thread: Day 5
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
NewMe11109
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Hi GreenEyedLady, JohnB and others - Well done on starting the journey.

As many have said, stopping drinking is really the easy part. The hard part is living a life where you are happy to not drink.

The key for me is working on my recovery, actively and every day.

I too had "an easy time at quitting". But, then I almost relapsed at 6 months for all the reasons you read about - just the cunning nature of alcohol.

When I work with others during their first few days and they tell me that "it is going well and they are surprised how easy it is", I tell them that this is a good time to begin building the tools that they will need when it becomes less easy. Just like learning a new skill, you will eventually "hit a brick wall" and will need to have the tools to overcome it.

There are many people who start sounding as you do and then in a week, a month, a year, even 10 years, find themselves back out there and even worse off. Many people come back to SR with DUIs, pending court dates, or broken homes.

I don't want to scare people, but alcohol is truly cunning, baffling, and powerful. It is a very formidable foe and one that you don't want to underestimate.

I built the tools through AA and SR, but there are other ways too.

I just ask you to take your great feelings today and leverage them for your future when you may need some extra support.

You can't do this alone.

Glad you are here. Keep us updated.