View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf
Snarf Snarf

Meat, I hope you find something on these boards that will help you.

I've found that there are many different ways to approach AA. AA is comprised of Christians, Atheists, Agnostics, Muslims, Hindus...you name it. It is all-encompassing. So that leads me to believe that there are as many ways to view the spiritual side of AA as there are AA members.

Completing the 12 Steps in AA does require belief in a Higher Power. That Higher Power can be a God of your choosing, the Universe, the AA group...1 guy I know said his Higher Power was Jerry Garcia.

As far as I can tell, completing the 12 steps will result in a spiritual transformation. But I don't have to translate that as a religious transformation, or anything involving the supernatural. I take it to mean that my actual spirit will be transformed; that I will think differently and behave differently and learn how to handle certain situations differently.

I'm sure you can get very many different viewpoints from the people on this board. I've personally found AA to be very helpful. I've met people who have been through exactly the same things as me, and their words have helped me see some things about myself I had previously ignored. It's nice to be able to talk to other people who understand you. For me, I need to be around other alcoholics. They're the only people I know as crazy as I am.

Good luck to you!