Thread: hello
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
chaoscalmed

Originally Posted by newagain View Post
Okay, Deep Breath. Hello my name is....and i believe i am an alcoholic. until recently i thought being an alcoholic was staying drunk 24/7. i did not realize that if you drink every night, and still got up and went to work and functioned fine that you could still be an alcoholic. but i have tried to quit and to no avail. i am causing problems in my marriage, i am depressed, i feel like i am going to loose my mind--i feel like i am going crazy. i feel like if i quit drinking, then my life will start putting itself back together. I believe in God, but really do not pray. I have read where having a relationship with God is instrumental in beating this problem. when i do pray i do not feel a "connection" I feel like i am just talking to the air. I thought when you prayed that there was some sort of life changing sign from God, and I have not had that.

Not real sure what i am asking here, just wanted to get this out in the open. i confessed to my husband this morning that i have a problem and was very scared because i have tried to stop but i haven't been able to. last night was a very bad night for us. i really do not remember much of what i said, but i know i hurt him. this was not the first night we have had like this, there have been many. when i told him this morning that i was ashamed of myself and i was very sorry for last night, he just held me tighter than he has ever held me before and would not let me go.
NewAgain,

Sounds like you have already taken the first step to a new way of living. You have admitted you have a problem and you can't fix it yourself. You are right...take a deep breath, because while this might seem so scarey, you can feel relieved that you don't have to pretend that everything is okay.
A.A. is a wonderful program, and the book Alcoholics Annonymous is our guidebook to serene sobriety. I say serene, because just putting the drink down is not enough. We block our connection to God with ourselves. I had to finally admit that alcohol/substances were bigger then me. I know God is bigger then them. I have to put my faith and trust in God, not myself. God uses many resources to help us. The many people on the journey of sobriety are here to listen, guide and help you on your way. I wish the best for you.