View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AskingWhy

Should I Run Like Hell????

First time post on this side of the board and I'm just looking for some advice/answers.

When you meet a person of the opposite sex who tells you that they had a meth addiction seven years ago but from all outward appearances show no signs of an issue now (holding a steady job, being a responsible parent, paying their bills and taking college classes) - how do you determine if they are being honest/sincere about whether or not they have conquered their addiciton?

I hear and read "once an addict always an addict" but also find stories of people who have led very successful lives after recovery.

My basic question for those of you here familiar with addiction, in particular meth, is what do I need to be looking for if I continue to become friends, and at some point, more involved with this person?

Can meth use be hidden or if this person is using will it still be or become obvious over a short period of time?

Should I just cut the cord now and run like hell or is that being unfair to someone who has potentially turned their life around?

I've begun to educate myself on meth, it's symptoms of use and habits/effects it causes. But I'm looking for real life stories from friends/families of addicts to help me out....all advice appreciated and totally respected!

Thanks.