View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 06:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bluebelle

What does Cessy want? There isn't going to be a magical cure or fix. ABF will not magically get better. Even if he decides to go into recovery, and change his life around, it is a long road ahead. There would be ups and downs and lots of serious work. He doesn't sound to me like he is ready for that. You seem to want things to just magically work. Unfortunately, he can't continue on the path he is taking. He has probably already gotten to where he doesn't really feel a "high" anymore. The drugs just make him feel normal. His brain chemistry has changed. His only way to get a high is to take more and more, which will get him into more and more trouble. He may try to change dosages, change meds, or change how he is getting his drug.

I know all these things because I watched my ABF go from being a "functional" pill popper to having serious issues--stealing, lying, breaking the law, driving while under the influence, etc. He has chosen recovery (for now), but it is not an easy route for either one of us. I have had to change, and he has had to change.

I know that sometimes it is easy for you to push these issues out of your head and figure that you'll deal with them later. The thing is, they really do effect you. You can work all the time, and focus on other things, but the problem with him is still there. I ended up with depression, anxiety, pushing away friends, concentration problems, my own lying problems (to cover up his issues), all to try to continue to be in denial.

Take care of yourself. My thoughts are with you.