Old 03-20-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
littlefish

Thanks all...Intention, I think my part in this started with me even being there in the first place. But you hit the nail on the head, I think in terms of my contribution to this. I said the shot thing really in order to fit in. To show that I was not so "high and mighty" about drinking that I was looking down my nose at everyone, if that makes sense.

But - after I read your comment, I thought about this more, and realized that my intentions went deeper. I think my anger toward this person and her husband had been growing over the past two months about them giving me crap about me not drinking, and about this woman in particular for, as Fandy put it, making me feel "less" by her rude, invasive and agressive interrogation about not drinking. SO - when the tables were turned, and she hesitated at having that shot, I said to myself, "Oh! Well, then...now it's OK to say no, eh?" Nice double standard. I guess really, if I'm really honest - I wanted to put her on the spot the way she's done to me for the last two months. I'm tired of being her door mat.

Bottom line is, I need to get away from these people for sure. It'll be tough, because we all have boats, and their slip is two away from ours. And I'm not selling the boat. I may move slips, but I am not selling the boat. It's an activity my husband and I love, and have worked very hard to be able to do. If everyone else gets falling down drunk, that's their business. But I'm done with that.
Humblestudent: you have really done some exellent work here: you admitted that maybe you were baiting her because of that negative behavior she showed towards you a while back. I too, wondered what that comment was: "shot, shot, shot"...it didn't sound quite right to me.

You never know how things will turn out. One of my biggest drinking buddies is now one of my buddies in sobriety. I am not saying that will happen to you, but, it sure sounds like that woman is dealing with lots of thoughts about her own drinking. Your quitting may have been a catalyst, but, she might not be ready and as a result is negative towards you.

Just relax and enjoy your boat, the wonderful water and maybe things will turn out surprising in the future. She may not be your best friend now, but maybe one of these days she'll walk up to you and ask you how you quit.