View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  
augustwest
dopeless hope fiend

Ahh, music sweet music! What a wonderful point you've made blackbirdsing. Music is such a crucial part of my life. I do not know what i'd do without it. Between playing guitar, listening as much as possible every day, and going to as many shows as i can....It's a vital part of my recovery, my spirituality, my life....

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ~Berthold Auerbach

Music is what feelings sound like. ~Author Unknown

Without music life would be an error. ~Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

I've recently finished reading Deepak Chopra's book Overcoming Addictions-The Spiritual Solution and he is adamant about musics vital role in the recovery process and life in general. It's a great book that touches on many things one can do to support their recovery. I recommend it.

Speaking of music, just yesterday i plopped down a bunch of cash to obtain phish tickets for this summer. I'll be going to Hartford, Conn., Saratoga Springs, NY, Raleigh and Charlotte, NC, and Atlanta, GA to attend 8 phish shows. I'm so excited and would never ever be able to do this in active addiction. Their music in particular speaks deeply to my very being in a way that i cannot really explain. And add the fact that Trey Anastasio, their guitar player, is in recovery and it's just a beautiful thing. WooHoo!!!

Other things that are working for me today in my recovery are meetings, step work with my sponsor, service work, exercise, eating healthy food, and twice daily meditation practice.

Things that aren't working for me are being compulsive about things other than drugs. That experience puts me right back in the same old mind set and i have to be very careful. Getting too tired or angry also are not good for me. I make poor decisions and find myself in an unhealthy headspace when this happens, in ways that don't have anything to do with using.

I'm truly learning through experience that my drug addiction was truly a symptom of my real problem- ME. But things are really good today. I'm incredibly grateful. All the best to you all. Namaste.