View Single Post
Old 06-21-2004, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quietsins

there is an 800 number to alanon worldwide in the US. it will help you to find the closest alanon meeting to where you live. and if you are like me and in a rural area... ask for areas that arent as close but maybe the need for the meeting is worth the drive.

as for getting started. heck you already did the hard part. you admitted you need help and are willing to work for it. your HP helps if you let it into your life.

buy one of the books of approved literature to read. meetings here are once a week, but 7 days a week i have access to words of encouragement, help, love, and support. along with this site and the online meetings they hold here.

after a few meetings find a sponsor. someone you can trust. and they will along with your alanon group help you to find this road of recovery.

people here dont intentionally not answer questions. most questions people ask in this forum really have no answers. many come to alanon hoping to find "THE" answer. why does my A love booze more than me? and how can i make them well?

after a while in the program you realize, we are here to heal ourselves. we cannot control, or cure our A. we can cure ourselves. and that alone is a huge task. so your frustration at not getting answers is in no way trying to be rude. but living by the alanon structure. we dont give advice, we offer support, help, understanding and our own insights.. and with your own strength and that of your HP. you find the answers for yourself.

remember in school when someone would give you an answer to a test? usually didnt teach you anything. it is thru learning that we grow. and we grow together in alanon. for we are a family of people not related thru blood, but by a bond much stronger. a desire to become the best people we can be

good luck