View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Nostalgic ramblings...

Not for booze, I don't really view booze with any nostalgia anymore but this is something which has hit me hard today. Only in a nostalgic kind of way mindyou.

Those in USA probably have never heard of 'legal highs'. Basically they are mainly synthetic chemicals created with the sole use of recreational drug use but to get round the misuse of drugs act. This started off in New Zealand in early 2000's with BZP being sold in clubs as an alternative to Ecstacy, coke and speed.

When I got properly into drugs about 4.5 years ago it was these 'legal highs' that got me into the whole chemical scene. It is safe to say that I view the whole period of around 4-3 years ago very fondly, I loved BZP and TFMPP and used shed loads of pills. I used to love the fact that I could order online and have it delivered by the postman the next day and knew exactly what I was getting and it was always bang on and legal, so i used to pop em in pubs and clubs without caring at all, no paranoia about getting busted etcetc.

It felt sort of like my generations drug kind of. I loved them. However I always used to use them during drinking binges so I never liked one without the other really. I guess they were just a way to make drinking way more fun, and they did.

Anyway on my last binge my mates were telling me about the drug on the scene called 'mephedrone'. Not at all related to methadone but a synthetic chemical developed in about 2007. They were recomending it over MDMA. From that I knew it must have been some drug. However I got sober after that binge and they had just ran out so I never got to try it.

It has been in the media today about mephedrone as two kids have died whilst drinking and collapsing. Usual moral panic bullsh*t in the conservative press and this looks set to be made illegal the same as BZP was. It is ironic really that my cocaine addiciton started due to the government making BZP illegal so no head-shops sold it anymore. So I had to buy Coke and pills from dealers more often. I preffered the legal pills to the illegal crap that most delaers sold. They were often BZP anyway or speed.

Anyway I guess I am just feeling a little nostalgic about the whole period today, as it's my day off work, and I have been thinking about oldtimes at Camping holidays and music festival and just life in general... Dangerous I know!haha.

Anyway I know I am an alcoholic and that for me any drug would take me straight back to drink so it is out of the question. It isn't so much that I want to take any drugs anyway, but more just nostalgicallly remembering old-times back in the day taking BZP and just feeling like it was great. Something to really look forward to and just have a blast, whether with others or alone I didn't care.

But I guess it is what it is and it's gone, plus drugs go hand in hand for drinking and smoking with me so they are a no go. I never viewed BZP and the like as bieng at all negative really, far from it, I have the fondest memories of my life from around that period in time. Oh well, just getting it out there on SR. Probably most people won't be able to relate on SR as it's very much a UK thing of my generation who are aware of these legal highs. The great thing was/is that they are legal but better than most of the illegal stuff, all things considered. But I ain't going there. Just writing it out on SR as it will help get it out.

At times like these I just go firmly into 'One day at a time' mode as at 24 and the summer around the corner I can start to get a wtf is going on type moment, all the fun and madness is over. But I shall ride it out and let it pass.

Sorry for rambling but it helps me so that is why I have posted.

Peace x