Thread: Need A Friend
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 01:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SCRedhead
Enjoying Sobriety

Healing hugs for you justjo,
My brother is very, very sick right now. His pancreas and liver have quit working because of the stupid alcohol. I will have one full year of sobriety on the 22nd and I don't want anything to screw that up.
This is what I ask myself: If I pick up a drink, will Michael put his down? We all know the answer to that.
I have been telling myself for the last four months that all I can really do is pray for him and set an example. I got a friend from AA to go with me to visit him and I gave him a copy of the "big book". That is ALL I can do.
Guess what happened? He called me two weeks ago and said he had called the VA hospital in his state and asked them to get him a bed in detox. That is a miracle.
Because he is so very sick physically, I do not know what the future holds for him. When he gets to go home (and he lives alone) will he start right back up again? I don't know the answer to that one either.
What I DO know is I don't want to go back to where I was a year ago and if I pick up right now it won't help him one little bit.
I ask God to take care of him and to help me through another 24 hours every day. I also ask God to help me stay sober no matter what I may have to face that day.
God bless you and keep you. Please try some of the suggestions on here: meetings, grief counselor, etc... and post again soon so we all know you are hanging in there!
With Love and Serenity,

Red