Thread: First Day
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 03:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Toronto68

Joseph, I noticed you mention that AA is probably not the way to go for you and that you are wondering where you stand as far as alcohol goes. You mentioned you were overwhelmed.

I think I posted a message somewhere about me managing to get something out of AA even though I am not going to meetings. I think the name of the thread that somebody started is called My First Step. Haven't checked if you were there yet, but there might be something worth reading there.

It sounded like your mind was racing a bit. If AA is not going to work, then set that aside for now. If you are worried about what to call yourself, set that aside too. Just read and post what you are feeling. I think it is a good thing that you came to this site, because you will find people that understand - many different kinds of people.

I don't think I have looked at all your posts yet, so I could be missing info you already shared...What do you think about alcohol, why do you want to stop? I compare alcohol to a false friend, a false medicine. It was there to block out certain feelings, but it didn't cure anything. It blocked out life.

Start with you and look inside and describe it. It felt like an amazing stroke of luck for me to reach a moment when I was able to stop. I'm so glad I have met people who have also stopped after years of putting on the fake bandage and doing harm to their mind and body. I'm also thrilled that people younger than me can do that too. Everyone who has been through that experience has a similar part to them, no matter how different they may be (how they look; write posts; earn money; whatever). Not everyone stays away from drinking with the same methods. People are not identical in the ways they would experience alcohol either, ie, not everyone would get drunk every day. But everyone UNDERSTANDS what it means to suffer in alcohol. It's the relationship with alcohol that needs to be looked at.

You don't have to be concerned about condemning words. I will listen and so will many people here. You won't be alone.