View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 05:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
HumbleBee

Welcome, C ~

I was the same as you - high functioning - always went to work, didn't lose my home, family - but alcoholism is progressive - all these "things" that I hadn't lost were all just "yets" waiting to happen.

What I did lose while I was drinking was alot - my self-esteem, pride, character, self-worth - it finally did me in.

The shame, the guilt - it was so unbearable that any fear of failure to stop drinking wasn't even an option - I had had enough.

I think we know when our own "enough" is and until that time comes, we'll try to rationalize, justify and defend why we think we can control it - this is especially true after the first weeks of sobriety when we (most people I think) begin to feel physically better.

I experienced 'anxiety' in early sobriety (not 'guilt' - never heard that one)but anxiety would be a normal reaction to your body re-adjusting to the lack of alcohol on your nervous system. Some people experience it, some don't.

Glad to have you here. You're in a great place for support. Check out other forums here on SR, post whenever you need to - talking (typing) out loud tends to relieve apprehensions/frustrations, etc.

Don't be afraid of failure - the only failure is in not trying.