Old 03-06-2010, 05:59 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
coffeedrinker

reply to book study, and a suggestion

Originally Posted by Alizerin View Post
Jessica came from an alocholic family and just found that she married an alcoholic. Nobody plans to do this. It just seems to happen. It's as if when it comes to this particular aspect of life - we have blinders on.
yes, i relate to this. i def. had blinders on. the funny thing (ha, real funny) was that, years earlier, when we knew each other in college, i remember having a sense that maybe he had an alcohol problem. then years later, it was somewhere WAY WAY back in my mind, i KNEW i didn't want to marry one, he didn't seem to have the problem after all. what the heck!?!
hindsight, right?

this is my real response to that quote:

that is why i talk to my children about this. that is why i try and education my daughters about this giant thing called chemical dependency

next: i have been away for a couple days, just checking in for short periods of time. i felt like i was going to miss out on the book discussion and it bummed me out. i am hoping, alizerin, that you won't go too fast through this book - for those of us who don't spend a lot of time on the computer, either for a short period of time (out of town for instance) or just in general they don't.

i also wonder if we can try and curb the impulse to go off-topic. it would be very easy to spin off in many different directions. trying to catch up with this thread i felt that happened and, as much as everything spoken about is valid and important, it got away from the chapter, i thought.

just my 2 cents - you guys can tell me to go to hell if i'm outta line.