View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 11:53 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
bmwcycle

HH,

Welcome and good luck. I too had that issue recently not with a toast but an old drinking buddy and a bartender that slipped vodka in my club soda as a joke.

Now at first I was P.O. and wanted to confront them and tell them that it is not a joke and WTF they were even thinking. But I stepped outside, mellowed out and realized that if they are that sad and threatened by my choice they are not worth my time and energy. We have an old saying in southern maryland "F*&% them let them eat beans and walk in the rain and make bubbles"

that being said, I think there are diffrent reactions from others about my choice to stop drinking.

Most of my drinking buddies, we have no real friendship other than hanging out and drinking, seem threatened and question your motives.. Like my story above.. They are insecure about how much they drink and need you to continue to help justify thier own choices...

My true friends, people I fish, hunt, ride bikes, get our families together are supportive of my choice. A bunch of us go to hockey games together and I thought it would be an issue if I stopped drinking..Boy was I wrong they couldn't care less and were happy that I am the driver now...But there still are wierd situations that arise, I found out that I wasn't invited to a dinner party because it was a wine themed party and the host did want to tempt me, once again at first I got P.O. then after thinking about it, they have not guide book of how to handle this anymore than I have. They thought they were being a true friend by not tempting me, and I can't hold that against them.

Sorry to ramble and best of luck.....