View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ItsmeAlice

Welcome!!

I read your first post and thought you had approached his drinking through the years in the healthiest and most supportive way you could. You retreated from a love relationship with him when alcohol took a priority in his life and you enjoyed a partnership with him when it took more of a backseat.

Finally, he is in recovery and seems to be committed to that process. I was delighted to hear that you and he could finally be in the same place emotionally to have a true relationship.

While I'm sad for you that he has ended things, I am hopeful that time and his continued committment to his recovery will bring you back together again.

Please be patient for him. My impression here is that you are a caring and loyal friend to him and one who understands how to keep a distance for her own well being when it is called for. If I had kept my feet firmly planted in my well being and not latched onto fixing my XABF's alcoholism via my own codependency, things may have been very different for us. Being able to care for someone without sacrificing yourself is not something I learned early enough in life, I think.

Give him time and your friendship and what is meant to be will be.

Thank you for posting. Please stick around and share more with us.

In friendship,
Alice