View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ElegantlyWasted
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

" I stopped drinking just 3 and a half days ago. I have a hard time calling myself an alcoholic"

Ditto that, but sub in 7 months of sobriety. The reality is that the real world involves ignorant people that are quick to judge and act by viewing the world throught the lense of superficial stereotypes. What works for me is that I know i fit the letter of the definition of one who drinks "alcoholically". I know this, therefore I don't drink. What anyone else thinks of me irrelavant. Get support from people who have a similiar mindset, here, AA etc. The reality is that what people think of you really doesn't matter; it's how you view yourself. If people are quick to judge and throw a label of alcoholic on you in a negative way, they are judgemental hypocrites and probably have major issues themselves... IMHO. After I quit, I would simply decline drink offers by saying that it interfered with my training. You could do something similiar. People already know you do screwed up things when you drink so it's already out :wtf2there in a sense. For yourself, make a connection between bad consequences and picking up the bottle, don't worry about labels. Do it for yourself. In my newly dry experience, I have found that the people who are overly insistent on me drinking with them fit the definition of alcoholic and are in denial. Welcome to the journey. Quitting alone an by itself rarely works. You need to establish new habits and that takes time. Don't beat yourself up, have faith in yourself and above all be honest with yourself and what you want. The only thing that matters is figuring ou what you want and a way to get it. Congratulations on motherhood; Mom! Welcome!