View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 05:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
humblestudent

Fandy - I didn't tell anyone at first either...you're very early in, and that's ok to keep it to yourself until you feel a bit more steady. I only told my son two days ago, and then my best friend of 19 years yesterday. For me, it was like admitting that I FAILED. But both of them were so incredibly happy and proud of me that I wished I told them sooner.

Also, it turns out, my son, and this very close friend of mine who is like a dear, close Aunt to him, had talked about my problem before in general terms. My son had expressed concern to her about it unbeknownst to me. So here I was thinking I had it SO together, and yeah...not so much.

It was good to get it on the table, but I was not able, ready, feeling strong enough to to it until day 59. So, don't be so hard on yourself. You're very early in.

Now - I'm not going to be taking out a full page ad on my Facebook page or anything - and talking about it THAT openly is unthinkable to me. But the people in my life who need to know, who deserve to know because they have experienced the consequences of my drinking...I'm telling those people.

I'm NOT telling my mom-in law or the rest of my h's family though. I just don't want to deal with that. They have no understanding AT ALL of addiction, I see them maybe, MAYBE once per year, and it's just not necessary to bare all to them, in my opinion...