Old 02-21-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
academia

Hey Ella-

I'm not sure what I meant about my comment earlier; I guess I was trying to compare our drinking, which isn't really fair or smart.

Anyway, we have a lot in common it seems. I've asked myself the question about the 12-steps without the God part. I'm an atheist as well. However, as I've progressed in my thinking about this (and talking with my therapist) the God part does not necessarily need to be taken literally (although, I imagine that it can be taken either way). Moreso, it's a metaphor for something that you may not necessarily have power to change; i.e. your pre-disposition to and/or having alcoholism. It's not like you can just cure yourself. You're stuck with it and I'm stuck with it. For some people, faith can provide a great degree of courage and support. For the rest of us, you have to find it in yourselves, your community, your support network, and the things that matter you to.

Granted, I have not embarked on the 12-steps yet. In fact, I read as many books and papers as I could on people who can sober up without the 12 steps. There appears to be some cases where this is true, so I guess it depends largely on the person. I can't imagine there being any *negative* to the 12-steps though, even with the God part. Just my 2 cents.