Old 02-21-2010, 09:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Just to add what you said about the modern day and using online for recovery......this site is a fantastic resource. And blogging can be great for your recovery but.....

AA was founded in the 1930s. To this day we still use the program of recovery outlined in the 12 Steps written back then. The same book is still widely used alongside the steps. New editions of the book have kept the original instructions for recovery intact.

In all that time, nearly 80 years, AA still is the most widely used program of recovery for alcholics. Yes there are others - you can find details on this site and people regularly post here who have used other methods to stay sober but do consider that in all those 80 years with technology and advances in medical science doctors still don't have a cure for alcoholism. Even now the doctors who put patients through detox, rehab, therapy, etc etc, still recommend they use the resource of AA.

So I wouldn't discount the old in favour of the modern. They can both work alongside each other to give us the maximum benefit from our recovery tools. I have been reading the Big Book for 11 years. I still love it and still read new things in it but now I have it as an app on my iPhone. I love the modern day technology too