Old 02-19-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
littlefish

I found that lists of all the negative consequences of drinking never helped at all.

I wrote lots of lists: "why I shouldn't take that first drink". But I never looked at the lists before I took that first drink, again. (and again, and again....)
In fact, nothing went through my brain right before that drink because by the time I lifted the glass, I'd already been planning to drink for days, on several self-deluding levels.

I know that medical advice is not allowed here, but I think it will be okay to say that from my own personal experience, binge drinking caused my insomnia. If an alcoholic binges, lets say anywhere from 4 to 14 days the brain adjusts to the high volume of alcohol, (a general depressent of the nervous system), by increasing the level of brain chemicals that are stimulants, such as endorphins.
When the drinker stops drinking abruptly, the general depressant is removed abruptly, but the brain can't stop producing stimulants abruptly, it can take up to several days, or, more correctly, nights, for the brain to stop producing natural stimulants.

That is why insomnia is the curse of the binge drinker as well as the newly sober person.

Maybe as long as you remain a binger you will keep returning to the hope that you can control your drinking when you are between binges, that's what I did. It's a terrible roller coaster ride of hope crushed by despair, over and over again. I'm glad I finally accepted that complete sobriety was the only solution for me.