Thread: Unsure Newcomer
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RisingPhoenix9

Unsure Newcomer

Hello everyone. I'm here because I'm not sure if I'm an alcoholic or just have a problem or what's going on with me. I think it's safe to say that I drink more than what is "normal" on any given day. I never used to think anything was wrong with it. Because I didn't drink all day, only at night after work. But my mother recently got diagnosed with dementia and it may be karsakoff's but we're not sure yet. I never thought my mom drank much either. She and her 2 sisters and her brother were/are all, I guess what's considered heavy drinkers. So to me it was all normal. Now there's all this worry that if I fall into the same drinking habits of my mother, that I may get this dementia too.

Before this thing with my mother had happened, I had considered cutting back what I drink on a daily basis. I just never did it because I didn't see the problem with it and I honestly didn't want to. But now that this thing with my mother is happening, I decided that I'm only going to drink on the weekends. Well that's my goal at least. I've been doing pretty well with it. But I find that if I have a glass of wine one day with dinner during the week, I find myself getting anxious when I won't allow myself to have that second and third glass that I used to normally have.

So I guess I was just wondering if anyone is in the same position as me. I don't even know if I am an alcoholic. I'm just ... confused I guess.