View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jay77

Withdrawal Anxiety

I wasn't too worried about withdrawal this time around as I had "quit" twice in the last 4 months without any of the serious symptoms setting in. I have paid close attention to myself though, since I was on a pretty good binge the week before I quit. I've had problems sleeping every time, but that's par for the course for me, I've had problems insomnia since I was a kid. Hell, I had problems falling asleep in freakin basic training when I joined the army.

Anyway, I was doing alright until I dumped my stash last night (day 3). While I had thought I was just too busy to take care of it, I'm thinking maybe I was secretly thinking those cans were my safety net. Not long after tossing the empties in the recycle, I began feeling... nervous? Free floating anxiety, maybe? Getting rid of them was a bit of a trigger, and aroused feelings I was not owning up to or simply ignoring, knowing that there was still a fair amount of alcohol in the house.

I stayed up a little late reading stories of success and hope here, and it brought me some calm and I went to bed. Wife said I tossed and turned quite a bit, tho. That's new. My typical alcohol soaked sleep rendered me a big immobile unresponsive lump on the bed.

I know I'm on the right track, and I'm not craving a drink, but... My mind keeps remembering there's no "stash" in the house and I get nervous again.