View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Tytan

Day 96!
Ahhh... do you hear that? Silence. Glorious silence. My mother-in-law is in the air and on her way home. I love my mother-in-law, she is great... at least her heart is in the right place... but she is always so frantic all the time. When she left her drunk of a second husband, we took her in for about six months, prior to us moving overseas… those six months have given me a free pass to heaven. Lol. But seriously, frantic, frantic, frantic… she makes decisions for people about food… and TV… and everything to a comical degree.
Example, at our 4 year olds birthday lunch, she read the menu, “Oh, calamari, do you guys like calamari? Mmmm… Calamari, calamari, calamari… why don’t we order a bunch of things we can all share like the calamari and the brochette… blah, blah blah.” I know, I know… getting a bunch of starters for everyone to share is a great idea. Right? Well, my mother-in-law took the birthday boy to the bathroom just when the waiter comes to take our order. We order the brochette and the calamari for her and since we wanted something else to eat, my wife and I ordered meals for ourselves. When the food arrived my mother-in-law just wouldn’t stop talking about the calamari, moving the plate over to our side of the table, telling us we had to try it… but… we had our own food to eat. Finally my wife said… “Mom… don’t YOU want to eat the calamari?” My mother-in-law: “Who? Me? No, no, no, I don’t like calamari, I can’t stand the stuff. I got it for you guys… you said you liked calamari, I got it for you guys.” She got it for us… although neither my wife nor I ever mentioned wanting to order it for ourselves… or even brought it up in the first place. Plus, I paid for lunch… so the idea of ordering random dishes for people when you’re not paying is lost on me.
Anyway… that is a glimpse of my last 8 days. She also did this at a sandwich shop two days ago… I chose the sandwich I wanted… but she thought I would like a different sandwich better… when my wife said, “I’m sure Tytan knows which sandwich he wants to eat”, she said, “oh, well… I’ll just get this one too just in case. At least that time she treated for lunch… and I had to eat two sandwiches to be polite.
Anyway, I don’t mean to talk trash… she really is a sweet woman and great with our kids… I just wish she could chill out more.
Anyway, I’ll talk to you guys tomorrow…!