Thread: What to do...
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 08:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ceres
Go ask the Multivax

I'm AA to the point of annoying probably. So, I don't mean to sound like a Nazi.

With that said,

When I came to the rooms, I had no social life. I had no "friends". I didn't realize how lonely I was until I walked into my first meeting and could actually feel the commodity between the people and their attitude towards me of not pity, but pure compassion. They were also genuinely happy for me because they knew the future that was within my reach.

It was their happiness that inspired me. Perhaps because I was so unhappy and surrounded by unhappy people - That it struck me to the core. They say to find people in AA who have what you want. Everyone in that room had what I wanted. There's a special feeling that can come from meetings. If you can just get past that old friend of ours "fear'.

My whole in point in this is that I've been all over the place this week planning a baby shower, I've had pop-ins, phone calls out the butt, and this and that. I realized that I have a ridiculous amount of contacts in my phone. I didn't get voice mails for three days and had 10. This little thing, this little party had me realize the amount of honest, loving, and healthy friends I have. They are all in the rooms. Our friendships are beyond the rooms. These people have become my family. This is not lip service when you hear people say "My AA family". It is just as real as the keyboard I'm typing on.

I just wanted to add this because I just want to grab people by the back of their necks when they talk about not having friends in sobriety!! You have friends, they are waiting for you.