Old 02-11-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
MichyMary

Smile

Wow that certainly takes me back. Everyone has mostly said what I would but will list here again for you.

1. DON'T worry about what you might or might not do tomorrow. Concentrate on today. One day at a time, hell sometimes I had to take it 5 minutes at a time.

2. Get in more meetings. Share your struggle. Don't think, "I won't get anything out of THAT meeting." THAT meeting may be the one where what you say helps someone else.

3. Get a sponsor (same gender as you) and do what they say. If you already have one, CALL THEM and share your struggle.

4. Find a way to help another alcoholic. Does your group have a 12th Step outreach? Join. If you have a lot of time on your hands due to not working, find some place to volunteer.

5. Read your Big Book every day, even if just a page. Pick one word from the reading that really strikes you and carry it with you through out the day. Think about it from time to time and what it is saying to you. When your mind starts to wander and you want a drink, think about that word. Bring it up as a topic what doing # 2, 3 and 4 above. If you can, also read the section in the 4th edition of the Big Book on Acceptance (p 417 to the end of the story). I read this every morning.

6. PRAY. Ask your Higher Power to give you the strength to get through the craving and then BELIEVE that your Higher Power is able to do that.

My personal experience is that at some point between 30-90 days the "Pink Cloud" of early recovery goes away and what was once new and exciting (almost a high in itself) now becomes the every day. You have worked, up to now, getting rid of your old habits and now you must fill that void with the new good habits. Now is when you must decide if you are truly willing to "go to any length to get it".

Hope this helps.