View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NEJeeper

I am 41 days sober now and it was not easy. That is unfortunate you picked up, but these things happen and one can move on if they want to.

I am a man but I may feel something similar to you. I was in relationships for a long time. My last real one was about four years long. Personally I am an idiot and think I can help people and get burned in the end. I am also somewhat co-dependent perhaps as I often feel like I need to be in a relationship or I tend to be miserable. Miserable for me often meant sitting at home listening to Nirvana or Johnny Cash swigging Jack Daniels or some other such foolishness. Pretty much since I was 15 I have had a girlfriend, I went from one relationship to the next over and over, except for one year when I was too into partying to bother with a gf.

But now I find myself by myself and in recovery. I am taking the advise of AA and not bringing anyone into my mess for a while. Which is lonely but I keep myself busy. I am finding that my need for female companionship to make me happy might be based in the fact that I am not happy myself and I seek this basic need in other people. I think that I need to be more content, if not happy with myself before I can have a meaningful relationship, and to do less would only cause less happiness for me in the end. But I am still working on this stuff, as a matter of fact things are coming to me as I type this right now.

I too would consider myself good looking and I have been working on making that true on the inside as well. I am eating healthier, exercising, and learning more in school. I have discovered learning for learnings sake, not just to pass the class. I am also working on improving my spiritual self and my personality. I think that getting myself back to where I should be is all I need to worry about now. When I get there the time will come and I will find someone. I am where I need to be.

I was so depressed the first two weeks of my sobriety I could hardly eat or sleep. It sucked. I started to come out of it when I went to AA. I ditched most of my friends because they were all bad for me. I have almost no friends now, no gf, just me and my people at AA. I have meet some awesome people in the rooms though, people that seem like they genuinely care and are good people. I don't know what I would be doing now without AA, surely not as good as I am! And I never pictured myself as going to AA but it works....