View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Lionne
not little, a stranger no more

Hi Tiara,
Congrats on 14 days, and having taken active measures to deal with your problems.

I do remember that especially in the beginning, that I also progressed on the day to day approach, and I also remember worrying about the "forever" part. With the time, and being busy working on my recovery, there came acceptance. For me it became more about the things I don't want, as in: "I don't ever want to go back to this" because for me that was more important than anything positive I ever associated with drinking. Anything that keeps you sober one day and that you can then apply the next day. It's still pretty early in you recovery and everything will get better with time. In my opinion, staying in the today is good, (take a look at the quotes in my signature )

Recovery is a process, and just take care of it one step at a time. I can't say when the real moment came that I was ok with the thought of sobriety being a permanent decision, but it will come eventually. Don't feel pressured to achieve evreything in two weeks, it is normal that recovery takes time.

Although I do not use a 12 step recovery program, I go to meetings, work very actively on my recovery and did some things that are part of 12 step programs, like making an inventory and amends. I had a genuine moment of surrender, and that was what jump started my work on recovery. I am sure that while you are working th steps, you will be able to gather a lot of tools and support and you will learn to cope with things while being sober. Give it time, and as long as you are working on your recovery, your quality of life in sobriety will get better and better. It's worth it, and I wish you all the best on your journey,
S