View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Omega10

Originally Posted by stopdrinkdave View Post
How long did it take for the edge and anxiety to dull for some of you?
I will let you know when it happens

However, I have much less anxiety now from the perspective that I no longer have to worry if my boss has noticed that I am hungover, or if I still wreak of booze when I go into work the next day. I don't have to worry about the drunk texts I sent the night before, or who I offended because the booze turned me into an @ss.

I am finding the urge to drink has subsided a lot. I still get it, and probably always will to some degree. But as time progresses, so do I, and each day is a little easier than the last. This week (week #3) is where I have really noticed my progress.

Accepting that I will have bad days has also helped. Bad days are a necessary part of life. The difference is that I am retooling myself and finding better ways to manage and overcome my bad days.

It is hard to say when your edge and anxiety will dull, as each person has a different chemistry and different life experiences that contribute to how you feel. But I am pretty sure that at some moment you will come to the realization that things are better than they were. It is at that moment that you will know that going down the rocky road you have just started travelling has been worth the journey, and then some.