Thread: Sober_or_dry?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
yeahgr8

This is the way i was always Dry in the past

It was like having abstinance forced upon me, even though it appeared to be my choice generally at a moment of extreme emotional pain in my life. This may be that one morning i woke up and actually swear off drink forever and, as i said, the pain being so great that i actually follow through this time. It was ok for a short time as i start to try and change things immediately, as alcoholics do, and start to feel better. My life situation changes as i am not drunk all the time, but after a while i start looking, unintentionally, for the reasons i can't drink, this may be , my spouse, my perceived threat to health, my genetics, my job, may even be that i still believe that it would be insane to drink...whatever...then the resentments start to creep in somtimes blatent, sometimes sneaky...before i know it i am miserable as hell and angry and don't know why, i see someone drinking and know i cant drink, then the if onlys, if only i hadnt drunk so much, if only i'd saved money, worked harder etc, the past creeps back in again, when i say im glad i dont drink anymore i am starting to not believe that as much as i did...then i start looking for external reasons as to why i feel so bad, start blaming people, places or things...then after months/years something as innocent as a work do may come up where everyone knows i dont drink, and i am standing at the bar and i say to hell with it ill have just one JD and coke, its a party...and i feel good at that moment and wonder what all the fuss was about, but i have 10 and make a fool of myself and before i know it im back drinking more than ever and don't know why...

Sober...i can't describe it in a post, too much to say...obviously quite the opposite of dry though...you change as a person and you want more, you come alive inside...

I mean i could post 2 lines about abstinance and sobriety but that would have meant nothing to me before...so??!! Hope that helps?

I guess a way to look at it would be if you can identify that you were dry at certain times in your life and understand why, even a little bit, you might be on your way to getting sober;-)