View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LookingFwd

How could I have let this happen?

Hi all. My first post and let me just say how happy I am that I found this forum. After lurking a few days, I have found the advice and support to be so encouraging.

I have decided to quit, but haven't quite done it yet because I've been told I will need to do a medically-assisted detox and I need to get some things in order before I do that.

The prospect of recovery is terrifying to my right now. I have cut my consumption to 1/3 and am already having withdrawals - shakes, sweats and extreme insomnia.

I am not a binge drinker, but I drink a good sum every night, and now its dragged into days to keep steady. I started having symptoms last week (burning feet), had an honest talk with my doctor and decided that it is time to stop.

So, in a week or so I will be doing the hospital visit and then begin the lifelong journey of sobriety.

My biggest fears are the detox process and relapse. I live alone so I don't have a 24hr onlooker, but luckily I have two veteran AA'ers who have been great, and now this forum.

On the other hand, I cannot wait to get back the life I had. I never do the things I used to enjoy and many aspects of my life are a mess. About the only thing I can say I haven't messed up is taking care of my old dog.

Many thanks to all who contribute support and advice here.