View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Janeene

supporting husband in recovery

Three months ago I told my alcoholic husband that if he didn't quit drinking and go into treatment, I would divorce him. We have 3 kids in elementary school. I retained a lawyer and filed for divorce.

He agreed but wanted to "do it his way." He moved in and out a couple of times, then returned home before Christmas and started an out-patient recovery program. The program lasted 8 weeks. After 5 weeks, he said that he was grateful to me for pointing out that he was drinking too much, and didn't want to do that anymore. He also said he wasn't an alcoholic (people in the recovery program were much worse off than he was) and that he wanted to be a "social drinker."

I said that if he was drinking at all, in any way, I would divorce him. So now he has quit the recovery program, and is home, sober. I still don't trust him, and the kids are still upset by all his bad behavior in the past few months. He doesn't have any support for being sober, but doesn't feel he needs it as he (wrongly) thinks he has control over alcohol.

I don't know what to do now. It's great that he's sober, but I feel like we're all just waiting for a relapse. It's hard to move forward with repairing our relationship because I don't trust him. He hasn't apologized to me or the kids or even discussed this with the kids. Does anybody have any suggestions?