Thread: Hi I'm new
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Andreas

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I've been dry for 3 weeks, until today when I bought a few beers. I didn't really want to buy or drink them, I felt a little let down when I did buy them. I'm sitting here now wishing I hadn't bought them and how much better it is being sober. I'm hoping that tomorrow I can stay dry again and carry on where I left off today.
That is the vicious circle. You feel a little bit down and try to cheer up using something. And make a wrong choice in favor of alcohol, although you know quite well that it will not really work. In the end, you feel even worse than before. What is the way of cheering up now? More beer? But you know it will not help, it will worsen it all even more. The only way out seems to be complete refusal of alcohol. You just have to decide that alcohol does not exist on Earth.

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Sorry to rant but I'm new and I've never really been able to admit my problem to anyone other than my wife and my brother.
You have done absolutely right to have come here! You seem to have got rid of at least one reason for drinking: "feeling lonely and having no one to speak to at the moment". Even if your wife and brother happen to be somewhere outside your place, you will always find someone to exchange opinions (and experience) here. Just do not withdraw into yourself