Thread: What Next?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 04:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR EliotRosewater!

Here are a few ideas:

1. Call your local AA hotline and ask if someone could call you and arrange to meet them out side of a meeting to go in with.

2. Call your local AA hotline and ask if someone could meet you for coffee and then go to a meeting.

3. Call your local AA hotline and ask if someone could do a 12th step call at your home and then go to a meeting.

One thing I have learned in my recovery is that if I step out side my comfort zone I grow.

Trust me every single person in an AA meeting recalls the fear of walking into thier first AA meeting unless they did like I did. I was fall down drunk when I went to my first one!

I had been drinking all day and was pretty hammered when my wife came home, for some reason she was really upset to come home to find me drunk again and proceeded to read me the riot act!!! The only thing I could say to calm her down at the moment was "Look, I am going to an AA meeting tonight, lay off!"

Well I found a meeting, left the house and of course stopped to buy a 6 pack to get me to the meeting and back home.... I mean the meeting was 5 miles from my house and I sure could not get there & home without a 6! I drank 3 on the way & then stumbled into the meeting.

Well I was made to feel more then welcome, the people there were nice to me even though I was drunk. I grabbed a cup of coffee and sat down in the back. It was a speakers meeting so all I did was listen, go to the bathroom, & listen some more. A really nice guy came up to me with a book (Alcoholics Anonymous) in his hand, he gave it to me and told me to keep coming back!

I had my second meeting 5 years later while I was in detox, different people, but I was still made more then welcome.

EliotRosewater if you really want to go to a meeting and begin your walk into sobriety.... STEP OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE!!!!

I promise you that if you go to some meetings you will overcome all your fears of meetings, you will even look forward to going to them.