Old 01-28-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
coffeedrinker

Originally Posted by Freude View Post
I am wondering if it's the fact that someone allegedly turning down a life-changing path chooses US as a companion...in their darkest and most serious challenge in life, we feel the bond created by them inviting us to help them somehow rises above the ordinary manipulator and codependent. No doubt, when we project our romantic dreams, we convince ourselves that, even if there is only the slightest chance of working out, if it DOES, by sharing this painful and significant transition with him, our reward will be a bond stronger than we've ever felt. That tiny chance for something so longed for makes it worth the risk. Makes us THINK it's worth the risk.

Anyone else have any insights?

oh, i don't know if i think it's "worth the risk". what i mean is i don't think i've ever thought it through in those terms.

i DO know, about that bond thing. sometimes, when i used to fantasize (kinda don't these days) about an "us future", that bond was right there in the picture. we were like in each other's bloodstream, so many memories, hurdles overcome, so much a part of one another. yep, that sure is in the formula for me.

if i had a crystal ball and knew there would be another bit of a tough time, but saw the end result and it was that happy ever after (sort of; i know it's not that simple) i would definitely stick it out. sometimes i just know without question that this is the man i wish to grow old with.

oh my.