Old 01-27-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Ahhh, he thinks you are brilliant; yet he doesn't have patience to listen to your everyday banter. Interesting. Manipulation from a silver tongued alcoholic. (I'm a recovering alcoholic and capable of manipulation without recovery keeping me incheck)

It sounds like he is an energy stealer looking for a fresh source of power. You sound like a balance individual, seeing life with your eyes wide open and working on keeping your serenity. He finds that attractive.

I have found that my recovery gives me energy. I am creating positive energy and well being in my life through my recovery from alcoholism and codependency. I enjoy spending time with others that are growing and seeking serenity. We enjoy a type of shared energy when we are together. That's what is so terrific about Sober Recovery Forum! Shared energy and support, equal giving and taking as needed. Being there for one another! Beautiful!

I am aware that sometimes friends may need more and sometimes I need more support (energy). But there is a healthy balance. I can't show up in the relationship and expect to keep taking. And I can't keep giving to another without feeling drained, exhausted and then I feel victimized and martyred.

It sounds like your relationship will be one sided. He shows up and talks (quacks) about his recovery. He wants you to be his trophy girlfriend and show up as his balanced partner making him look good. He wants you to listen and support his recovery, while keeping your own to yourself. I recognize this type of relationship as my last date! I posted about it. The date mentioned marriage on our first night out together. I saw red flags! I ended that relationship. I couldn't be the trophy girlfriend. I want to be respected as an equal partner in a relationship.

Take a look at what you want from a relationship. Then hold this relationship up to your list. Are you getting what you need from this relationship? Is this relationship already exhausting you? Is it worthy of your precious time?